24 July, 2006

My Favourite Limericks

Writers have their own favourite authors. Businesmen have thier business idols. So I have my favourite limericks. ;-) Most are taken from the Wikipedia article on Limericks, and from www.limericks.org.

Here they are, a mixture of creativity, poetry and fun ...

Here's ... a palindromic limerick! Very, very creative...

Tango-noter, a disc I peek at
In a temple: hot sin, a mad rat;
Ere we retard, a man
Is to help me tan;
I take epics, I dare, to no gnat.

How can I not admire the nantucket one ;-)

There once was a man from Nantucket
Who kept all his cash in a bucket.
But his daughter, named Nan,
Ran away with a man
And as for the bucket, Nantucket.

Another nice one:

There was a fair maiden of Exeter,
So pretty, guys craned their necks at her.
One was even so brave
as to take out and wave
The distinguishing mark of his sex at her.

An Anti-limerick:

There was a young man from Japan
Whose limericks never would scan.
When asked why this was,
He answered 'because
I always try to fit as many syllables into the last line as ever possibly I can.'

And finally... the best, and my favourite... one cannot but admire the great mix of creativity, rhyme and sexual innuendo is this limerick, in which every foot rhymes... Great!

Men venerate treasure on Earth
Then penetrate pleasure n' birth —
Fair surprise 'twixt thin thighs
Where your guys mixed in size
Again generate measure n' girth

Here's a nice page about the "poetry" (metre, syllables) in limericks, and it contains some classic limericks: http://www.erp.oissel.onac.org/anglais/limerick.htm . Another nice page worth reading (it's big) is http://www.limericks.org/pentatette/Lear.htm .

Hope you like my taste. ;-) Do comment. :-)

2 comments:

  1. all the limericks posted here are quite captivating. at the first glance we can feel why they are so special. i cannot imagine the time spent on creating these masterpieces. truly, a great work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't need anything from you or anything, but I actually quite like some of your own limericks better.
    Am I biased?! (The answer is: of course I am biased, I am human, it's how our brains work!)
    I knew this young physilimericist from Mumbai
    who without my comments said he'd run dry
    I said no more girling...
    and the rhyme started swirling!
    And I am not good at limericks so ehm, ttb1~q`q bye
    :P
    ok, you can shoot me now.

    ReplyDelete