22 July, 2008

Tidbits

Well, people, I'm back after two weeks, as my vacation comes to an end, and I prepare to join TIFR's department of Theoretical Physics. Been a golden year for me, this has... and now the grinding of studies starts again.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm back with limericks! (After almost an year of no-lims). Why? Well, no inspiration, no time, etc. But:

I'm willing to confess I'm not poet at core
So sometimes my brain gets dried up, sore
But when I'm in form
In meter, rhyme, form
Just gimme a subject, I can make one more!

Heh. Two more in this post, later.

---------------------------------------------------------

If gibberish is not an indicator of profundity, why is The Speaking Tree so famous?

Homage to the Speaking Tree:

The Ultimate goal of man is woman. He is insignificant, and in this multidimentional universe, he cannot stand on his own two legs. It is absolutely essential that, for the well-being of his soul, man should sarcrifice himself. Only then can he become one with God, the Universe, and everything. 42.


From Physics to meta-physics, the ultimate aim of the sciences is becoming one with the absoluteness of the universe. Cherish your dreams. May your attain the supreme knowledge that resides in Brahma. May the force be with you.

Ok, I cannot write more gibbersh and pseudo-profundity. Maybe later, when I'm in a suitable mood, I'll update the above. ;)

------------------------------------------------

On another note, I've been reading Philosophy. Yes. Sigh. Almost finished that book.


Just thinking about it makes white matter grey
Because such lims just don't come on a tray
But to write a lim on such
Philos is a bit much
To add Russel, Plato, Hume, and, Nietzsche*?!

* Just mispronounce as Neat-zhey for once. For me.

Having finished with broad outlines of Philosophy, I'vee moved on to, yes, History.

Wars, Famines, Graves and Kings
Why doth he, of sad history sings?
But learn from it,
Of wisdom and wit,
Of hardened hearts and lovely beings.

Almost Victorian, that poem. It was supposed to end like a limerick, yes. Try again:

History teaches us, of lives and deaths,
Of Dates and Times, of nations' wreaths
But our time it sheilds
From swords and sheilds
Of lovely musings and stinking breaths.

Damn, just can't get the irony out of it. In fact, I do love history for it's irony.

---------------------------------------------------------

What are tit-men? (From the Straight Dope.) Love the joke at the end.

--------------------------------------------------------

I leave you, on a seriouser note, with Mill's Principle of Liberty. Not a witty end to the post, but heck, important. I also brought Mill's "On Liberty" yesterday.

That principle is, that the sole end for which mankind are warranted, individually or collectively in interfering with the liberty of action of any of their number, is self-protection. That the only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinions of others, to do so would be wise, or even right. These are good reasons for remonstrating with him, or reasoning with him, or persuading him, or entreating him, but not for compelling him, or visiting him with any evil, in case he do otherwise. To justify that, the conduct from which it is desired to deter him must be calculated to produce evil to some one else.


I'm almost a libertarian by now. :)

2 comments:

  1. Lovely limericks! I liked the first one the best. I skipped Mill's essay - I'm sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. And finally we have some lims! Of the Speaking Tree, I shall say, I hope it becomes one with Brahma or the universe or with whatever its shoot looked at when its seed germinated and shut the hell up! Of History, I shall say, boring unless you are reading articles on the evolution of erogenous zones of the human mind after we first covered ourselves up with leaves.

    ReplyDelete