- John Cleese on The Life of Brian
It took a lot of time, yes, for this, my final post in the Movie Series, to be written. I wanted to write it ever since I saw "The Life of Brian" in April. This is truly a fantastic movie: Very funny, very satirical, and very profound (Ok, that may be a strong word in this context). Before I saw Brian, I was wrestling with myself on which movie I should write about in the fifth post. But one I saw Life of Brian, there was no doubt in my mind. (Besides, this series has lacked a comedy.)
Before I start my usual plaudit-heaped post, here's a limerick:
The Life of Brian
Brian was an un-usually sensible chum
(Though he stuck out like a sore thumb)
Before he got involved
And his reason dissolved
When he shouted "
A lot has been said about this movie (about all great movies, actually), so I wonder what I can add. Maybe not much, so, for the review part, I'll direct you to Roger Ebert's review of Life of Brian. The only thing I have to add is that the sets are great, the movie is funny, and unlike The Holy Grail (of which I am not a big fan), this one has less slapstick and more sarcasm.
For my part, all I have to do is convince you to watch the movie: because I feel this is not a movie to be missed. The best thing to do is quote some funny lines from the movie, and here they are:
- [The audience members at the back of the crowd are having trouble hearing the Sermon on the Mount.]
- Man: I think it was, "Blessed are the cheesemakers"!
- Gregory's wife: What's so special about the cheesemakers?
- Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturers of dairy products.
- Mandy: Your father was a Roman.
- Brian: You mean... you were RAPED?!
- Mandy: Well... at first, yes.
- Blind Man; I'm healed! The master has healed me! I was blind, but now I see! [he falls headlong into a hole]
- Brian: I'm not the Messiah!
- Arthur: I say you are, lord, and I should know... I've followed a few.
- Followers: Hail Messiah!
- Brian: I'm not the Messiah! Will you please listen? I am not the Messiah, do you understand? Honestly!
- Girl: Only the true Messiah denies His divinity!
- Brian: What?! Well, what sort of chance does that give me? All right... I AM THE MESSIAH!
- Followers: HE IS! HE IS THE MESSIAH!
- Brian: NOW, FUCK OFF!!!!
- [there is a long awkward silence.]
- Arthur: How shall we fuck off, oh Lord?
- Brian: Oh, just go away! Leave me alone.
- Brian: You are all individuals!
- Crowd: YES, YES, WE ARE ALL INDIVIDUALS!
- Brian: You are all different!
- Crowd: YES, WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT!
- Lone Voice: I'm not.
- Person next to him: SHH!